Oct 27, 2011

So Lazy...

Seriously, I've done...like...nothing. :/

Well, okay...a couple days back, I went through and tried to flesh out the City of Jarconia arc. As I was doing so, I quickly realized that I'm going to need a lot more sprites for various characters that show up and talk...but I'm not willing to wait 2 years or whatever to get more finished lineart, nor am I willing to fork over the cash. That means either using silhouettes (which didn't work very well for me in the past), not using any sprite and just have them speaking from off-screen (which is pretty lame and boring), or *gasp* making my own sprites.

I have attempted to do just that by piecing together various things and then somehow making it look decent. Here is the first one I've done this way (flat color only, no shading yet) - a woman named Lilah who plays a pretty large part in the Jarconia arc, since the main goal is to find her before a major conflict breaks out between the human and demon factions of the city. I'm not sure if I really succeeded in making her look good, but...at least I tried. And even if she doesn't turn out that great, it's not like she's a main character, just important enough that she at least needs to be represented on-screen.

If I can make it work, then this will help a great deal in showing what demons and elves look like in this world, as opposed to the silhouette portraits I had planned to use before. Yes, it will take a lot of work, but it'll be worth it, I think.

And on an art-related note, I still haven't figured out what to do with the backgrounds. I'm leaning towards taking photos and tweaking them to make them look more "cartoon-ish" without going through and re-drawing them all. It's not an ideal solution, but it may work until I can figure out something better.

In the meantime, here is a preview of Chael's loading screen for your viewing pleasure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment