Sep 23, 2011

Pretty Sprites

I forgot to post yesterday...oops! Ah well.

What I did yesterday is the same as what I did today: coloring my sprites. Much to my surprise, they're actually coming out pretty well. All the practice I got from coloring all those chibis did me some good after all. :)

So far, I finished the two simplest sprites, Ahzi the enchanter and Rothkin the merchant, as shown below (click to see the big versions):

Some observant people may have noticed that they look quite different from their respective linearts. That's because I had to do a lot of tweaking - mostly erasing extra lines and cleaning up other lines - in order to get them close to the simpler style of the other sprites. It's unfortunate, but yes, details were lost in this process. Specifically, Rothkin looks younger and significantly less wrinkly than he did before, and Ahzi's creepy grin has been turned into a pleasant smile.

Despite all my efforts to make them look similar, they still look a bit out of place when placed next to one of the old sprites. With the exception of Ahzi, I'll probably make an effort to have them be the only one on screen when they need to be shown.

I also received the animal form linearts today, so between those and the sprites I still have to finish coloring, I've got lots to keep me busy for the next several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment